Our Sponsors        
Active Language      Blevins Franks   



Your friend in Chiclana

Home arrow Legal Issues arrow Certificado de Empadronamiento
Certificado de Empadronamiento
Written by Yvonne Ferrier   
Friday, 21 June 2013

The Empadronamiento, also known as the Padrón Municipal de Habitantes, is a municipal register or census record, of the number of people who habitually live in the municipality. It is similar to the electoral roll. To register on the Padrón is to "empadronarse".

Spanish law requires you to register on the padrón at the Town Hall in the area in which you habitually reside for more than six months of the year. 

Why should you register?

Chiclana is allocated funds by central government for the provision of many things including health centres, schools, police, fire-fighters etc. The amount of these funds is determined by the number of people who live in the area according to the Padrón register. If you are not registered, Chiclana is losing money for the provision of many things.

Benefits to you for registering on the Padrón.

 •  Registration in schools and also applying for scholarships.

 •  Right to vote in elections. Once you have registered your padrón you need to ask to be registered in the "Censo Local" to be registered for voting.

  •  Right to the Ley de Dependencia and economical support  plus social assistance. Benefits such as these are only available after you have been registered for a minimum of one year.

  •  Access to classes/ training offered by the Town Hall.

  •  Celebrating civil marriages.

  •  Access to council housing. (In Chiclana this is done through Emissa)

  •  Access to Self Employed grants and benefits.

How to register on the Padrón

Take a copy plus the original of the following documents to the Department Estadisticas, this is located on the ground floor of the Town Hall

1. Copy and original of NIE or Residencia certificate

2. Copy of Rental Contract or Escritura (title deeds of your own property)

3. Latest copy of one of your utility bills such as electricity or water bill

Complete the application form; this is available at the Estadisticas office which is located on the ground floor of the Ayuntamiento Building.

You will normally receive the certificate straight away and there is no charge.

You must renew your registration every five years and if you move to another area you will need to register again in that area. To renew your Padrón registration just go to the Estadisticas office with your original Padrón cerificate and fill in the renewal form.

If you leave Spain or become non-resident it is important to de-register.


ChiFRA members can add their comments here. You need to be logged in to use this feature as it is exclusively available to members.

< Prev   Next >
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack